These sterling silver Sweetheart drop earrings feature an intertwining design, hand-enamelled in Sheila's 'Electric' enamel colourway and enhanced with a 2.25mm cubic zirconia. Each earring has a drop of approximately 24mm.
The Abbey of Dulce Cor, Latin for Sweet Heart, was founded in 1275 by Lady Devorgilla of Galloway in memory of her late husband Lord John Balliol. After his death, Lady Devorgilla carried her husband’s embalmed heart with her everywhere and, when she eventually died in 1289, was laid to rest in front of the abbey church’s high altar, clutching his heart to her bosom. Sheila was inspired to create her ‘Sweetheart’ collection following a visit to the abbey where she was moved by the building’s conception as a shrine to human and divine love.